This project was an experiment in creating an inexpensive and beautiful solution with flat-pack design using Ponoko as a manufacturing source to possibly profit from.
The panel design was inspired by Eastern Asian influences, as well as the use of divine geometry. The panel attachments are designed to allow for a myriad of variations to choose from. The material was chosen in accordance with the lighting atmosphere I wanted to convey: Soft but warm and comforting.
In this studio, I was tasked with finding a previously made invention, and re-designing it for modern day use. This bicycle in particular is called the Velocino: a small, portable, commuter bike created in Italy during the 40's, but never went into production because of the war. The perk was that you could take it anywhere and not have to fold it. I pursued this project because I thought it could be an interesting hypothetical competitor to other portable bikes.
The bike being made of wood would simplify production and give more opportunities for experimenting with form.
The geometry of the bike was all done from scratch, using the information I collected on the geometry of normal bikes and modifying those measurements to the velocino. There was no information whatsoever on the geometry or how the bike was originally built, so careful measures were taken to ensure everything fit together.
This was a sponsored studio project in collaboration with Emerson Tool Company to design RIDGID products for their cordless wet/dry vacuum line and adjacent products that used a possible new battery powered system. It was also the first studio to complete the final model as a group effort.
The studio was divided into four phases: Phase 1 consisted of individual sketches of small and large capacity vacuums, as well as adjacent products. Market research was done as a group effort to compare and contrast our competitors, which was then presented to the studio.
Phase 2 was when our sponsors decided what products each student would design. I was sorted into the adjacent product section, where I then had to create five different concepts and present the one I thought was the most effective to the sponsors.
Phase 3 marked the start of our final group project, the multi-function charger concept. We made foam core models and SOLIDWORKS models to create an accurate representation of what we wanted. Our class then held a focus group where we received information and opinions from outside sources that may or may not need such a product. Refinement was done based on the feedback, given to us, and all the information was presented to our sponsors.
Phase 4 was the finalization process of our project. Refinement of the SOLIDWORKS model was made. With the dimensions, as well as the color scheme, we proceeded to complete our final physical model, as well as a poster to mimic advertisement of our product. As a result of our team's combined efforts, our product was voted first in the class for the adjacent product category.
Re-Vision was a Pro Bono project done in collaboration with a group of multicultural engineering and marketing students from the University of Pennsylvania and Swarthmore College. The ultimate goal was to create 100% recyclable and affordable prescription eye-wear for underprivileged children in Iran. This was my first work done as an individual without the affiliation of a school, as well as my first project that focused heavily on graphic design to create a logo for the initiative.
Throughout this project, I collaborated with the other students via skype calls and group chats. The engineers and I kept in close contact and coming to compromise on a final design as the weeks went by. This entire project gave me incredible insight as to how business works with a multidisciplinary staff over long distance, which is how most large companies communicate and achieve goals.
The reasoning for the two final logos are for different forms of media. As per rule of creating a logo, it must be visible through all forms of media, including black and white. This criteria led me to develop these two versions as a final logo design: one for color media, the other for black and white.
Child Bath Lift
This project was a sponsored studio done in collaboration with previous projects from the biomedical engineering students at the University of Alabama Birmingham. The idea was to take one of the projects that were previously worked on by the students, and re-design or expand them from a human-centric view. In this case, I chose to expand on the previously worked on child bath lift.
This project was very intensive in terms of research. This included market research, visiting local facilities that provide services for people and children with disabilities, as well as reaching out to personal contacts and getting first hand information concerning their bath time routines. Anthropometry and ergonomics also played a huge role in the finalization of the chair.
Concepting and ideation was more exploratory in this project than the others. The concepts consisted of what the chair could be and what components could we alter without compromising the overall function of the product. since all of the engineering was in place, all that was left to do on the chair was to reformat the design to be more comfortable for human use.